[Gllug] Restating my problem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 23:33:12 UTC 2003

On Thu 06 Mar, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> I am restating this problem in the hope that someone might be able to
> help me - I've spent days reading over HOWTOs but cannot even find this
> problem addressed...

Hello Adrian,
   I am not using Sendmail and Redhat with Demon, but I understand that Exim
which is standard with Debian is fairly similar, and I am trying to
understand where you are getting a problem. It might help you if I describe
my system.
   I have a single email address, with a single official IP address,
currently allocated to the external interface of my ADSL modem. All other
interfaces have addresses within the private ranges. A firewall/router
running masquerading links the modem to the main local network, and my
smarthost mailserver is just one of the boxes connected to this network. All
incoming mail is received by the smarthost, and outgoing mail headers are
re-written to appear to come from my allocated email address. The modem is a
single output router providing NAT, ready for connection direct to a hub,
but I only connect the modem to my firewall.
   I do not have the option of incoming SMTP, so I run Fetchmail on my
smarthost mailserver to collect mail via Demon's version of POP3. Fetchmail
runs in daemon mode, fetching mail for all local users. It just requests the
mail from the Demon server using the masquerading firewall as a gateway,
then passes it to the normal SMTP port on the same smarthost to be collected
by my MTA, Exim. Any error messages from Exim passed back to Fetchmail
control whether Fetchmail will continue to receive, bounce, or whatever, any
incoming email.
   There is a symbolic link from /var/spool/mail to /var/mail and a separate
directory /var/spool/exim which contains /var/spool/exim/input
   I have set up a user on the smarthost, but incoming mail goes to files
called /var/mail/username owned by username, group mail, with both owner and
group having r/w permissions. Optional alternate email names can be set up
in /etc/aliases. Users are not members of group mail.
   All other boxes use the smarthost for mail. Any other computer can be
offered as a mail relay if the smarthost is temporarily unavailable by
allowing restricted relay facilities, then adding an entry in the DNS server
data files.
   Do Fetchmail and your MTA have write permission for all the destination
files?
   If you are trying to retrieve mail via a non-Demon connection, Demon do
allow this, but you may need to request mail for each user individually,
adding extra lines to Fetchmail for each
username at your_Demon_hostname.pop3.demon.co.uk

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk