[Gllug] Restating my problem

Adrian McMenamin Adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 18:45:21 UTC 2003

I am restating this problem in the hope that someone might be able to
help me - I've spent days reading over HOWTOs but cannot even find this
problem addressed...

I have a Red Hat 8.0 box running a custom 2.4.19 kernel.

I am using sendmail as my MTA.

But it appears that no standard unix mailboxes exist on the system apart
from "root". Hence, for example, I can use the BSD "mail" command to
send an email when I am logged in as Adrian, but I cannot receive it.

I can also successfully ensure that if I add the line:

Adrian: adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk

to the aliases file then mail for "Adrian" generated locally passes (via
my ISP's smtp server and Demon's POP) into my mailbox.

But what I cannot do is configure my mailer to use standard Linux
mailspools - is there a fix?

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk