[Gllug] Are old Unix books any good?

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Sun Mar 2 19:36:55 UTC 2003

In broad generalities:

Old programming books can be quite useful as the old interfaces are
still generally there.

Old system architecture books are very useful, if studied side by side
with a current one.  Of the best bits of reading I ever did was two
kernel design books side by side--and you can achieve the same thing by
going back in time.  I'd recommend the Bach book on the Unix kernel
along with a current Linux book if you're interested in this area.

The older sysadmin books will be more useful than the medium term ones.
 Going back to 1992 era Unix sysadmin will let you see the system before
it got more flexible and more complicated.  Looking at books for Redhat
6.2 -7.3 books when you're working on 8.0 will drive you mad because the
new stuff is changing rapidly, and the underlying architecture is
generally not explained in detail.

Alan

Alan Peery -- peery at io.com
Mankind is led into the darkness beyond our world by the inspiration
of discovery and the longing to understand.  Our journey into space
will go on.  -- President Bush, Feb 1 2003

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk