[Gllug] Are old Unix books any good?

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 19:08:26 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Dermot Moynihan wrote:

> Sometime ago, in response to a request here on what books to get to
> facilitate my learning Linux, I was advised not to close my eyes to the
> possibilities of Unix books. As I know nothing about Unix or its evolution
> can anybody recommend a sort of a cut off publishing date before which the
> book would not be worth getting. Or should I regard the date as being
> irrelevant? I don't have enough knowledge to judge the content.
>
> rgds
> dermot

 A lot of things don't become outdated with time, mostly command line
 programs, i.e. ls is ls (even though 20+ more options might have been
 added since last time I checked).

 One of my most cherished books is the manual that came with Caldera 2.1,
 about 5cm thick, which had explanations for most cli commands.

 The distro itself didn't last much on my pc, but the book has.

 Nowadays you can find almost everything on the net.

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk