[Gllug] Best Way To Set Global Env Variables and Path?

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Tue Mar 11 08:31:36 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 10:04:22PM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Jason & fellow GLLUGers,

> Certainly /etc/profile.d has bash/csh/sh scripts, but I'm
> unsure about the behaviour of their more esoteric brethren,
> e.g. tcsh, ...  Do they even read this directory?

In RH /etc/csh.cshrc is set to loop through the directory, this
certainly works for tcsh too (just checked).  I've also just checked out
zsh and pdksh which is picking up aliases/env set in /etc/profile.d, as
I'd expect as it's looped through in /etc/profile as well as /etc/bashrc
and /etc/csh.cshrc

Only shell I can find on RedHat which doesn't do this is sash - but that's
by design as it is "stand alone".  /etc/profile.d seems to be the right
way to do this for bourne/csh shells on RedHat at least.  Not in the
FHS though.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk