[Gllug] Best Way To Set Global Env Variables and Path?

John Hearns jhearns at freesolutions.net
Tue Mar 11 08:53:40 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 08:31, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 10:04:22PM +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:

> Only shell I can find on RedHat which doesn't do this is sash - but that's
> by design as it is "stand alone".  /etc/profile.d seems to be the right
> way to do this for bourne/csh shells on RedHat at least.  Not in the
> FHS though.

Paul mentions the FHS - File System Heirarchy

This is a point which might be of interest to people new to Linux.
One criticism often levelled at Linux is that 'all the distributions are
different' and that skills, and scripts, learned for one won't work on
others. Not so.

We should all be aware of the Linux Standards Base which is producing
standards for Linux systems, and a compliance test.
http://www.linuxbase.org

(ps. hope you all recognise the new me)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk