[Gllug] I QUIT

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Fri Mar 14 17:30:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 07:53, radiant wrote:
> On Friday 14 March 2003 9:28 am, Jason Clifford wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> > > I'm disappointed to have to leave because there are some nice folks
> > > here, but I just can't be bothered dealing with all the reckless abuse
> > > that goes on in this forum. Fine, sure, perhaps I rise to the bait too
> > > much and feed the troll, and yes, sure, I should filter said troll, but
> > > I don't see why I should have to.
> I enjoy the /-occasional-/ flame war.  It makes a nice break from the
> technical.

There's been a flame war in here?  Where?  I've seen a few mild
discussions on topics which are a little warm round the edges but no
real flamage.  If you want a good flame war just let me know so I can
join in, I've not toasted anyone in a while and I'm getting out of
practice :)

> > > In my opinion this list should be monitored or subscription-only so that
> > >   poisonous posts or people can simply be bounced or kicked off.
> >
> > You really believe that you have a right to censor other peoples' posts?
> /echo
>
> > David's posts have not been abusive - rude is not abusive. He certainly
> > does not deserve to be demonised as seems to have been the intention of a
> > very small number of people on the list.
> you know the words, all together now...burn the witch, burn the witch, burn
> the witch.

David is abrasive, has is opinions and sticks to them and does post in a
manner which rubs some people up the wrong way.  However a good killfile
(no I've not killed your posts David :) and following the mantra of the
hamster[1] will generally allow for survival in the most aggressive of
groups.

> > > Currently, this is the rudest online forum I've ever been a part

bwhahaa....

Seriously you've been lucky, as a rule this is one of the nicer ones,
pop over into spam-l or some of the more 'interesting' usenet groups and
make sure you're wearing a flame proof water cooled suit first.

> > > It's up to you remaining folks to do something about it, but I've had
> > > enough.
> why do you feel that you/we have to do something about it?  You are the one
> who chose to bait the Troll and now you are leaving?  Perhaps the lack of
> support that you perceive is simply others choosing not to feed the flames?

As ever the best advice is "don't feed the troll"

   Mark

[1] When you feel the need to flame write it, go away for an hour, and
    re-read the original post and decide whether you really want to send
    your flame.  If you do then delete the original copy and write it
    properly this time >:)

--
Mark Lowes <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/