[Gllug] X - .mp3 problem

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 11:18:22 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 9:49 am, Frank Booth wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 09:14:17AM +0000, Paul wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 02:24:34PM +0530, Manjush G. Menon wrote:
> > > That was a disappointing news. Anyway what is Ogg VorbisT?
>
> ---end quoted text---
>
> It's been the case in Debian for a while that rippers don't make MP3s.
>
> Ogg Vorbis is a superior format. MP3 is lossy as it clips the music to
> earphone frequencies ( 20 - 20k hz ). As well as not clipping the sound
> Ogg Vorbis compresses the file more than MP3 at the same sample rate,
> it means you get more tunes for your megabyte.

The maximum frequency response is more to do with the original sampling
frequency than the codec used. And I don't know if either mp3 or ogg can
encode at higher output rates than 48 kHz (which would give you an audio
upper limit of 24 kHz). Both ogg and mp3 are "lossy" codecs because
information (supposedly stuff that you can't hear anyway) is discarded when
they are encoded  and not recovered when they are decoded again.

Some crappy mp3 codecs filter out the very top frequencies (depending on the
bitrate) but the better ones do not. The very top octave (10-20khz) is tricky
to encode without a lot of jingling and jangling when you play them back and
some just don't bother trying and filter it out altogether :-/

SteveH

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk