[Gllug] Re: software piracy

edd at linux-is-groovy.co.uk edd at linux-is-groovy.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 14:04:23 UTC 2003

Look at it this way.  Recently, I bought Windows 2000 profession, service pack 3.  I got it OEM 'cos I was constructing my PC at the time and it cost me £125.  Now that might sound like a lot, however this is an OPERATING SYSTEM.  The program you use non-stop, all the time.  It is an essential a part as the hard drive or the cpu, so it really isn't that much.  My friend wanted me to copy it and give him it as he couldn't afford it.  I said if he was going to nick a copy he might as well get it off the internet and leave me out of it.  So he did, now heres the thing, he had a legit copy of win98, and wanted to upgrade because it sucks (ha ha).  If he hadn't got a copy off the internet he wouldn't have it at all.  It's not like if that option was not available to him he would have gone to buy it instead.  So Microsoft is a few pounds down, it's also a Windows 2000 user up, and someone who advocates and praises it frequently, which inclines more people to go out and buy it etc etc.  Windows 2k is a quality operating system, and if win98 had been of the same quality, linux would be nowhere as popular as it is now, user side.  In conclusion, essential, quality product, it deserves your money.

Edd

PS~ OMG I'm using a Linux User Group, I'm an official nerd.

--
Personalised email by http://another.com