[Gllug] LDAP newbie

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 00:45:24 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 20:31, Martin Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,

> So I think what i want to do next is as follows, please someone let me
> know know if i'm barking up the wrong tree.
>
> LDAP for directory services, and authentication.
> Samba with LDAP integration and authentification

Good idea - you just want to run samba with the ldapsam options, and use
it as a PDC.
> .
> Exim or Cyrus (you guessed it) with LDAP integration.

These two aren't an either/or proposition. You'll want both. Actually,
you'll want an IMAP server and a MTA - which ones you pick depend on
your setup. Cyrus had a lot of ldap support. For an MTA, my personal
choice is sendmail, but as long as it satisfies your needs, which one
you choose is largely irrelevant (unless you choose qmail, in which case
you should be shot, but I digress).

> CUPS for printing.
>
> I'll also be looking to implement thin client on some old hardware and
> get a few more years out of it.
>
> Which is the best way to do this ?
>
> Configure LDAP first then add the other services ?

Yes.

> Can anyone recommend some reading material on getting started with LDAP.

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg244986.html?Open
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245110.html?Open

Grab the pdf's.....

> I'll also need to need to create around 1400 user accounts for which i
> have details in a ascii file i.e. user name and passwords etc.
>
> I'm hoping that I can write some sort of shell script that will create a
> LDIF and then upload this and create all the relevant accounts.

If I were you, I'd be hoping so too :-).

> So i'm starting to build this all up with the (vain) hope that I may be
> able to complete this ready for the next academic year.
>
> Someone please tell me that I'm not mad.

Ambitious, maybe, but not mad. All this is achievable in that timeframe
- it rather depends on how much learning you have to do along the way.

HTH,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk