[Gllug] The horror, the horror

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 08:24:55 UTC 2003

On Wed 26 Mar, North London John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Again, I spoke too soon. Still, I had 3 and a half weeks of linux - a
> record for me.
>

> But now, when I try to boot up Deb, I get "file system not found." I've
> tried the rescue options, I've tried Knoppix 3.1, same message. Seems
> like Windows has fscked my partitions.

   It depends how you installed Microsoft and Linux.
   If you installed Linux on the same disc as Microsoft, with Lilo in the
disc MBR (Master Boot Record, the first few sectors of the disc), then
Microsoft is likely to corrupt or delete the MBR data and/or partitions.
   If you installed Linux on another disc with LILO in the boot sectors of
the Microsoft disc then Lilo may have been corrupted. I have also had
strange messages from M$ offering to "clean" my system, followed by messages
about "not enough room for M$", leaving a corrupted MBR showing multiple
overlapping partitions.
   The Debian installation proceedure includes building a dedicated boot
floppy which should still work, and the Debian installation CD should also
be able to start/rescue an installed system. If your computer will not boot
from a CD, the alternative installation method uses a pair of floppy discs,
the first of which is a rescue floppy. Once your system is running you
should be able to re-install Lilo.
   If I ever have to retain M$ on a computer my policy is always to install
an extra hard disc for Linux so that I can unplug the Linux disc when I need
to attack M$.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk