[GLLUG] KDE3.1

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 13:45:15 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Steve Cobrin wrote:

> I've been running KDE 3.1 on SuSE 8.1 for a couple of weeks, it works
> well. There were instructions on the SuSE mailing list to update via
> yast2. Alternatively I just downloaded the rpms, and "rpm -Uvh *.rpm",
> I think there was one conflict, which I sorted by deleting the old
> .rpm, also you could do a "rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm" as a last
> resort
> http://www.suse.de/en/private/download/linuks/index.html
>
> Alternatively just paste
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_8.1/yast-source
>
> into Yast2 Online Update, and it'll be automatic
>
>   -- Steve

 I think comments like "you could also do a "rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps
 ...." SHOULD be pointed with a BIG WARNING, saying you might end up
 with a very screwed system, don't apply on a important machine if you
 are not very sure about what you are doing...

 For people new to Linux I endorse Mandrake, which lately has seen a lot
 of improvement of the rpm framework with urpmi, that is becoming very
 close to the way apt-get and family works. Putting the days of rpm hell
 well in the past.

 As with everything new in life, proceed with caution.

 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.7 ThinkPad 570               He who for pleasure dies,
 Linux Registered User #235743                 even death enjoys.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk