[Gllug] Wireless Ethernet range question?

Andre Newman gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Mar 14 09:39:45 UTC 2003

Hi all, been away from the list for a while :-(
I thought this would be a good place to get some opinions on Wireless
network cards.

I want an 802.11b card with the best range (sensitivity and antenna
performance), I've noticed some variation between the usr and Orinoco
(MK1) cards I have already (the orinoco seems better). I want to ensure
that I get a good signal over at my neighbours house, the neighbour has
just bought a s/h laptop and we'd like to be able to network.

Currently I get good signal there with a G3 Powerbook and apple internal
card which I guess is the plastic case and internal antenna. If I try the
other cards I get a marginal signal 1-2Mb/s with dropouts :-(

I have moved the base station to the highest, closest point of my house
which has helped and may buy or build a higher gain antenna but a
Pringle's can is out as I don't want to stop signal getting to the pub
garden next door the other way ;-) So seems sensible to give it the best
chance by getting the best performing card.

So if anyone has comparative experience of different cards that would be
great.

Cheers

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk