[Gllug] LDAP newbie

Martin Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Thu Mar 20 20:31:42 UTC 2003

Hi all,

As i've mentioned in the past i'm currently working for a school.

The existing setup is Novell servers, Win95/98 clients.

So far we are in the middle of migrating away from MS-Office to Openoffice
which is going quite well and seems to me to make a nice stepping stone
towards using Linux on the desktop, and to be honest the kids are taking to it
better than the teachers, which I wasn't overly suprised at.

I've just recently purchased a Rackmount server and installed Redhat,
there was an issue with debian and the scsi card, which is why i didn't
go my prefered route and use debian. I have also purchased a NAS which
has linux running under a pretty web interface, so I'll be mounting that
using NFS, should give me about 600Gb of space

So I think what i want to do next is as follows, please someone let me
know know if i'm barking up the wrong tree.

LDAP for directory services, and authentication.
Samba with LDAP integration and authentification.
Exim or Cyrus (you guessed it) with LDAP integration.
CUPS for printing.

I'll also be looking to implement thin client on some old hardware and
get a few more years out of it.

Which is the best way to do this ?

Configure LDAP first then add the other services ?

Can anyone recommend some reading material on getting started with LDAP.

I'll also need to need to create around 1400 user accounts for which i
have details in a ascii file i.e. user name and passwords etc.

I'm hoping that I can write some sort of shell script that will create a
LDIF and then upload this and create all the relevant accounts.

So i'm starting to build this all up with the (vain) hope that I may be
able to complete this ready for the next academic year.

Someone please tell me that I'm not mad.

Oh and the final begging part..

I'm always on the lookout for PC's that can be reclaimed/reused, I'll
also guarentee that any donations will use Linux :-) and any Cat5
networking kit.

Yours going slightly mad.

Budge

--
"Microsoft is not the Borg. The Borg have better tech support."
http://budgester.homeip.net/budge/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk