[GLLUG] War stuff

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Mar 18 14:19:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Steve Cobrin wrote:

> Both personally and as one of the GLLUG organisers, I fully agree with
> the below sentiment.
>
> > Please if you are going on any political marches not directly
> > connected to Free Software, do not bring Free Software or GLLUG into
> > it. Please keep GLLUG for Linux/Unix/Free/Open Source issues.
> >
> > It is in people's nature to make sweeping generalisations about
> > groups of people. Please do not give them ammunition to further
> > pigeon-hole the users, supporters and developers of Free and Open
> > Source Software.

In what respect?

Are you stating that as a GLLUG organiser you want those of us who are
discussing aspects of the current US/UK agression against iraq and trying
to arrange our involvement in any protests to stay off list or just that
you'd like us not to identify our political position in this respect with
our being Free Software advocates?

For myself I can see the sence in the latter however the former would seem
to indicate that only "approved" discussions are allowed which doesn't
seem to me a good thing.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		Get the T-Shirt Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk