[Gllug] .htaccess type question

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 22:17:49 UTC 2003

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I am running an mysql based web application via perl/CGI on a linux box
> (apache 1.3 on Red Hat 7.3) NB I am not using mod_perl.
>
> I want to let my admins cycle through/edit/delete/update records via the
> web (some/most are Windows based, some/me are Linux based).
>
> Is there a way I can authenticate them similar to .htaccess - ie login
> once. I suppose I could do that via mysql itself, but would prefer not
> to - I don't like the idea of exposing database security via the
> database itself, though maybe that is silly...

Why not just use .htaccess?  Most clients should cache the authentication
information if you are worried about the users having to re-authenticate for
every page.

If you use mysql to store the authentication information then you can limit the
access the users have on tables (see this article on things you should consider
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GRANT.html) but you could combine this with limits
imposed by the application.

Will

--