[Gllug] Postfix -> SMTP

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Mar 6 17:00:29 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 04:30:37PM +0000, Mick wrote:
> Dear Tethys,
>
> My MUA is set up to use /usr/sbin/sendmail.  As far as I can
> see, this uses SMTP to put the message in a place where
> Postfix can find it.  Postfix does this, and all its usual
> stuff, before using SMTP to send the message to my mail hub.
>
> I'm trying to avoid this additional processing by getting
> the first sendmail to send the message directly to the mail
> hub.  This was the behaviour I had with RH 7.3 and old
> sendmail.

No, on your old system the sendmail binary was handing the mail to
whatever mail transport was installed.  If that MTA was configured to
relay everything through a hub, it did so.  You can get Postfix to
do the same.  You could install ssmtp, which is designed to do nothing
but relay through a hub for all non-local mail, but a) it's not as
intelligent about handling mail as a proper MTA would be and b) it isn't
supported/developed any more.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock