[Gllug] BBC News 24 at higher quality

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Mar 24 15:09:33 UTC 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 07:17, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On Sunday, Mar 23, 2003, at 21:37 Europe/London, Dylan wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 March 2003 21:09, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> >> On Sat 22 Mar, Dylan bloviated thus:
> >>
> >> Here's a quick stab at it:
> >
> > I'll see you on those and raise you:
> > *statutory obligation to neutrality and development of new
> > technologies.
>
> I'll see your obligation and quote universal access.

They have that one partly covered - universal access only covers /broadcast/
(i.e. over the public airwaves [whether analogue or digital]) not the web,
which they probably class as an 'additional service'. OTOH, they haven't
(yet) cow-towed to 'RealOne', unlike others.

>Now you may not
> like Real Player but it's about the most universal format that people
> can use and it's a lot easier to understand and install for users who
> do not want to worry about file formats and plug-in types.

Actually, OSS arguments aside, I don't give a stuff about the format, so long
as it's available. Openly available, that is, without having to worry about
embedded players or searching proxy logs etc. - and at the bitrate I am
entitled to.

> Also remember that this is the BBC which worked on providing their
> Radio streams in Ogg Vorbis format.

Oh, and that worked well, didn't it!

Dylan

--