[Gllug] HD Suppliers

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 14:05:23 UTC 2003

On Wed 19 Mar, Murray wrote:

> So my disk has started clunking and grinding and refusing to mount, or
> respond.
>
> Need a new disk.

   I believe that a regular clunking noise can indicate that the disc is not
getting up to speed and the head assembly keeps attempting to access the
disc but failing. I have been lucky enough not to have lost any data through
a dying disc, but has anyone managed to do a last-ditch backup by feeding
the drive from a slightly overvoltage power supply? I have also considered
introducing a tiny amount of very high grade light oil to the bearing via
the screw hole at the top of the disc. I believe that some manufacturers
will attempt to recover data from a disc which fails within the warranty
period, it may be worth a check on the terms and conditions.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk