[Gllug] Nasty monitor - giveaway

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Fri May 16 22:31:27 UTC 2003

Chris Bell <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri 16 May, Jim Bailey wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 06:22:29PM +0100, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > > speak of experience -- i didn't get a craft certificate in tv repairment
> >
> > I don't know if repairment is in the English language but I think it
> > should be, great word. :)
> >

>    The problem now is that many components are difficult to obtain, and the
> ones that are obviously dead are often not the cause of the problem.

CPC is your friend.

>    Electrolytic capacitors dry out and fail after a while, but it can
>    be a

When an electrolytic goes, it produces a small brown crud emission on
the top. This is very noticeable.

> nearby large chip that gives out the smoke. Changing the chip does not
> remove the problem, the new chip may well blow again immediately
> unless the
Biggest problem: the failure of the electrolytics will normally expose
the chip to Vcc spikes that damage it. Replace the *whole PCB* with the
correct spare, or go to Morgan and buy a refurbished one.

> tiny capacitor is changed as well.
>    Line output transformers do fail, and can be replaced, but the power
> supply and EHT voltage should be checked to ensure they are still correct
> and you will not get lots of X-rays from the picture tube. They are normally
> set to only just below the minimum voltage for X-rays to enable maximum safe
> brightness. This requires an accurate EHT meter, such as a very expensive
> meter with suspended mirror and scale.

To make this clear, if you can't test for X-Ray, you make a personal
commitment to no children *and* cancer.

Really, don't do this kind of adjustment unless you can pay Stig to take
the rads for you - hey, he's qualified to know when to wear the film
badge - right?

>    Your local service shop may be able to fix the fault, but only at a price
> which is not economical.

Try and do a trade-in deal.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk