[Gllug] Major corporal damage to the Kernel?

Thomas Charles Robinson robinstc at ocean.com.au
Sat May 3 16:27:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 15:01, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 06:51:34AM -0700, Peter Rutherford wrote:
> > As a major league newbie I am most puzzled by a
> > comment
> > in a rave revue of Redhat 9 in the Linux User Magazine
> > (UK).
> >
> > On page 63, column 1, the author says " ... the Redhat
> > kernel now
> > diverges appreciably from the stock kernel which may
> > give some

> You're free to tinker with either the stock kernel or the Red Hat
> kernel! They're both available in source form. To get the Red Hat
> kernel, go and get it from:
>
> ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.20-8.src.rpm
>
> The .src.rpm contains the stock kernel plus all the patches which were
> applied to arrive at the Red Hat kernel.

Doesn't this break support with Red Hat? My understanding is that Red
Hat only support installations of their product if you stick to their
kernel or pay extra for support on your specific customisations.

t.

--

Everyone knows that dragons don't exist. But while this simplistic
formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk