[Gllug] Mass renaming of files

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu May 8 13:52:09 UTC 2003

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>And will that same one run under bash, ash, csh, zsh, esh and the hundred
>other clones?  Nope, didn't think so.

Yep. Mine will run under everything but the csh derivatives.

>For "scripts", I tend to write perl rather than "shell", as the chances
>are the perl will be portable.

Taking one of our production machines as an example:

	orwell:~% uname -a
	SunOS orwell 5.7 Generic_106541-12 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
	orwell:~% perl
	bash: perl: command not found

It's not unheard of for my scripts to need to run on a wide selection of
our production machines (which include Linux, Solaris 7 & 8, Tru64, AIX
and OpenBSD). Bourne shell scripts are protable between all of those...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk