[Gllug] /dev/console

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon May 19 09:48:55 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Simon Faulkner announce to the hordes:
> I am very happy that the chaps in the warehouse don't have to login to use
> the system :-)
>
> However, it would be helpful if they could read the results of the latest
> batch that they are scanning on a screen.  I can easily add a monitor.
>
> If a Linux box is left at a text login prompt can I send a line of text to
> the screen and if so then how best to do this?
>
> Or has anybody got any better suggestions?

Perhaps a less... bulky method (no monitor required) might be to have an
LED/LCD dot matrix display connected to the parallel port and output the
number to that in the script that does the database entry?

But, for a monitor it's simple.
You don't even need a login prompt, that could be removed by editing
/etc/inittab.
Just output to /dev/tty0. The permissions on it would need to be changed for
non-root to write to it, but...

echo "1" > /dev/tty0

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk