FW: [Gllug] Networking SUSE and Windows

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri May 23 19:56:32 UTC 2003

Alan Peery wrote:

> Ian Northeast wrote:
>
> >You havn't said much about your basic setup. Is this Windows machine
> >running ICS?
> >If so I believe that you have to set the Linux machine up as DHCP, have
> >you done so?
> >
> I don't think this will help at all.  ICS is hardwired to only offer
> service to machines running IPs of 192.168.0.X (IIRC), unless there is a
> registry hack I'm not aware of.

I believe that this is generally the case (apart from the exceptions
people have pointed out) but AIUI if in this situation you configure the
Linux machine as a DHCP client it will get a 192.168.0.x address as this
is what the ICS DHCP server will dish out. As I think I pointed out at
the time, I have never tried this though, as I have never felt the urge
to use a Windows machine as my router:)

But this was not the problem, this was a while ago and the OP confirmed
that the machine was already a DHCP client. I forget if any further
progress was made, I don't think there's been a lot more said about it.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk