[Gllug] OT: MTU sizes, w/ Broadband

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed May 14 15:22:46 UTC 2003

On Wed 14 May, Simon Wilcox wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > I think the time division multiplexing is well understood, the rather
> > long explanation I found for sending two separate parallel data streams was
> > not understood even by the book's author, even though I would assume that
> > they are now routed via the same multiplex links.
>
> Strange, I've never heard of parallel data streams in atm. As far as I
> know it's a single asynchronous data stream. Do you have a reference ?
>
> As far as I can see (revising my old digital telecoms training via Google)
> all the routing information is carried in a 5 byte header.
>
> I found this introduction [1] which seems to concur with my dusty memory.
> Warning - it is a usability nightmare and the overlong title tags
> (containing useful info) don't display properly in Mozilla. IE will make
> you sick with M$ animations :)
>
> Simon.
>
> [1] http://www.allcomm.co.uk/~singh/TLegends/howatmworks%2010.htm

   I read details in The Complete Network Upgrade & Maintenance Guide by
Mark Minasi, Jim Blaney, and Chris Brenton, Sybex Network Press, dated 1999,
ISBN: 0-7821-2259-0, 1556 pages plus a CD ROM. I might be able to drag it
along on Saturday.
   It appears to be tied to automatic load balancing and data integrity over
many and various routing options.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk