[Gllug] Question

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Mon May 19 12:41:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 12:47:28PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 11:44, Neil Fryer wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just a question, I need to change the IP addy of a server at our hosting
> > centre, which is about 1.5 hours away from the office, and I am not in the
>
> A general tip, which might be useful to many people,
> is that Unix commands can be separated by semicolons.
>
> So if you are working remotely, you can execute a series of commands one
> after the other, and ensure that they will all be run, for example:
> echo "Hello" ; echo "there"
>
> This is useful for working on firewalls, and in other situations.

Another useful tip for working on kit is to kick off a reboot some time in the
future (3 minutes after you plan to finish making changes) so that when you do
lock yourself out you should only have to wait a few minutes for your kit to
reboot and come back online. Of course this is only useful on kit that will
allow you to cancel an already running shutdown...

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk