[Gllug] [OT-ish] Identifying some old hardware

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat May 31 15:15:04 UTC 2003

Hello all,

I've been turning through my cellar and found a few things I need help ID-ing:

A) Serial card (I think) It doesn't turn up on the FCC database (not that
that's too much use anyway) It has a 9-pin D male and 25-pin D female, and a
UM82450 - hence I figure it's a serial card. Apart from the FCC ID the only
number is D10-500 REV 6. Is it likely to work if I just drop it in an ISA
slot, and find the appropriate module. There are two banks of 8 DIPswitches -
I figure these are for setting the IRQ's - would I be right in that?

B) A graphics card. It says Paradise'88 PVGA1A-JK on the main chip, and in
(c)1988 so I figure it's just a bit behind the times, but I'm assuming it'll
function just fine on a console only machine. Would I be right in that? It
has four DIPswitches showing thru the backplane (for setting default mode?)
set at 1011.

C) A Compaq Netflex-2 NIC - all I need to know is whether it's ethernet or
Token Ring. The only info I've found is ambiguous on that point - even to the
point of suggesting it's both!

I've also got 3 16/4 ringnode cards - are they worth holdin on to or should
they be suitably recycled? I figure I'd need other hardware to rig them up.

Cheers
Dylan

--
Sweet moderation