[Gllug] RH 8.0 Sound (revisited)

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Thu May 22 09:12:46 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Mick Farmer announce to the hordes:

> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I recently asked in this forum for help in getting my
> i810_audio module working and a couple of you suggested
> moving to alsa.  There's just one small problem.
>
> I'm running kernel 2.4.20-13.8, but one of the key rpms that
> I need is kernel-module-alsa-0.9.3a-fr2_2.4.20_13.9.i686.rpm
> which will put the sound modules in /lib/modules/2.4.20-13.9
> which is not where my system will look.  As far as I can see
> the kernel 2.4.20-13.9 is not currently available as an rpm.
>
> Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Download ALSA as source and compile for YOUR kernel rather than downloading
as a pre-compiled binary that was obviously compiled for someone elses...

You need "alsa-drivers" "alsa-libs" and "alsa-utils"
Oh, and alsa-config, if that's not been put into one of the above packages
yet.

One "quick fix" that might work with the existing one is to simply copy the
alsa libs over to the corresponding place in the /lib/modules/2.4.20-13.8
directory. As it's the same kernel version, it *should* work, but may
complain about unresolved symbols and fail depending on how the
alsa modules/kernel combination were compiled.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk