[Gllug] Networking SUSE and Windows

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Mon May 12 08:28:13 UTC 2003

Thus spaketh Tom Trainer on Monday 12 May 2003 7:53 am:
> I have a Compaq running Windows with a cable modem internet connection,
> and a Dell running SUSE Linux.  I can ping the Dell from the Compaq and
> vice versa, and I have pinged external IP addresses from the Linux
> machine via the Windows machine.  However, I cannot get any connection
> to the internet with Konqueror or Kmail.
>
> When I do a route, I get:
>
> Destination	Gateway	Genmask	Flags	etc. etc.
> 192.168.00	*		255.255.255.0	U	etc. etc.
> eth0
> default	Compaq.msho	0.0.0.0		UG	etc. etc.	eth0
>
> and when I do a traceroute, I get as far as 192.168.0.1, and then it
> just shows me asterisks on all subsequent lines.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

If you can ping, then you can conduct an ICMP traceroute:
traceroute -In <addr> instead of traceroute (capital i there!)

If that doesn't work, question if the original ping worked. If it does work to
an IP address (such as 158.152.1.58) but not to a name (such as www.fark.com)
then question if you have DNS set up properly.

If not, add nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf. If traceroute -In and DNS do work
properly, then do a telnet test of a website such as:
[al at svetlana al]$ telnet www.cnn.com 80
Trying 64.236.16.52...
Connected to cnn.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
get /
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Not Implemented</TITLE></HEAD>
<BODY><H1>Not Implemented</H1>
This server does not implement the requested method.
</BODY></HTML>Connection closed by foreign host.
[al at svetlana al]$

If telnet works, then see if mozilla's browser works instead of Konqueror. If
telnet doesn't work, then question if there is a firewall on the Dell machine
or Windows machine that is in the way.

Same with Kmail: do a telnet test to your pop3 machine:
[al at svetlana al]$ telnet pop3.demon.co.uk 110
Trying 194.217.242.21...
Connected to pop3.mail.demon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
- -ERR server too busy
Connection closed by foreign host.
[al at svetlana al]$
and if the connection is made (as it was here), then try a different mail
client, and check your firewalls.

Hth,
- --
Alistair

Today is Boomtime, the 59th day of Discord in the YOLD 3169

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk