[Gllug] cd rom access

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri May 23 16:51:56 UTC 2003

On Friday 23 May 2003 17:17, Gary Pownall wrote:
> Hello again.  Still no joy on the cdrom and floppy access issue but some of
> you asked me to send the fstab info to you to better understand what's
> going on.   so here it is...
>
> /dev/hdb1/ ext3 defaults 1 1
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /dev/hdb6  /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/hdc  /mnt cdrom auto
> user, io charset=iso8859-15, codepage=850, umask=0,usrquota 0 0

Try:

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

> /dev/scd0  /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,noatime 0 0

This looks fine

> /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-15, sync, codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Likewise try:

/dev/fd0 /mny/floppy auto noauto,user,sync 0 0

The other options specified in your fstab are (SFAIK, someone correct me?)
only really relevant for your windows partition.

> /dev/hda1  /mnt /windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-15, codepage=850,umask=0  0
>  0 none  /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hdb5  swap  swap defaults 0 0
>
> info:  I'm running windows xp on a seperate hard drive.  Linux is on hdd2.
> Everything works fine in windows so i find it hard to believe that it could
> be compatibility.   Also some error messages on bootup that you may be
> interested in...
>
> scd0 is "write protected"  mounting in read only mode

That's not an error, it's a message telling you the cd drive is read-only
(which it is even though it's a cd-writer!)

> FD0 is not a valid block device.

There is no floppy in the drive.

> Then I get something about "you must specify file system.

Which device is this associated with? It often turns up if you try to mount an
empty drive.

> When Kde is up and running I get an error message "cdrom is read only, make
> sure you have access to /dev/cdroms."  when I've opende up /dev/cdroms and
> try to access the "permissions"  I've noticed that everything is "Greyed
> out"

Only root can change that.

HTH
Dylan