[Gllug] Monitors and shocks

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu May 15 22:09:08 UTC 2003

On Thu 15 May, John Hearns wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 16:11, t.clarke wrote:
> > There is an old saw:
> > 'Its volts that jolts, but mills that kills'
>
> Yup.
>
> I can't remember the exact definition, but you also have to look at
> the 'compliance' of a supply. That is how much current can be drawn
> from the supply before the voltage drops, obviously related to the
> internal resistance.
> So, as you say a high voltage belt off (say) a small capacitor will
> only jolt you.
> Wiring yourself up to (say) a bank of cells in a submarine will leave
> you very dead.

   Another problem is that you do not always know what your muscles will do
when the contact is accidental. I was told that if you really must touch
something that could be charged, use the back of your hand to test it first
because your natural reaction is then to pull away. AC voltage can pulse the
muscles and just possibly throw you clear, DC voltage can make your muscles
contract and grab tighter. I have been asked to provide a first aid dressing
for someone who grabbed something that was carrying enough volts to force
his hand to hang on until the whole of the palm of his hand was dead white
and shredded. He was still alive, but he may have lost his hand.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk