[Gllug] Error correcting memory

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue May 27 19:33:46 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 07:54:39PM +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:12, Tethys wrote:
> > Mike Brodbelt writes:
> > >ECC memory is capable of correcting single bit errors.
>
> More interesting, and something I didn't know until I looked on Google,
> is that many motherboards with ECC capable chipsets don't actually
> implement the error correction!

I have a (non-Intel) Linux box that has ECC.  In fact it can't take non-ECC
RAM which is a PITA.  Anyway, it's actually quite scary how often I get a
message in the console saying it corrected an error; at least a couple per
week.  Makes you wonder how many single-bit errors go undetected in non-ECC
systems.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk