[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Nov 19 11:33:38 UTC 2003

On Wed 19 Nov, Jason Clifford bloviated thus:

[inline images in emails]
> And that wont work in many recipient MUA's.
>
> The only thing you can rely on is that the recipient will be able to read
> plain text messages.

Yes this is true.  For the vast majority of my correspondents, it'll
be a case of just look at the picture.  For those that use mutt or
pine, it'll be a case of "v" to look at the attachment.

For the people (that would be you and one other I can think of) who
read their email through teleprinters, they won't be able to see an
image file no matter what form I put it in.

> Would you send a message via post in a manner that you were not sure the
> intended recipient could read?

So I should convert all images to ASCII art for the two people I know
of that can't view images through either technological lack or just
bloody mindedness?

Actually, I'm going to put the onus on you.  How about adding
something like this to your mailcap?

image/*;        anytopnm %s | pnmscale -xsize 80 -ysize 50 | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm | pbmtoascii ; copiousoutput

And don't complain to me about your low-resolution view of it.  Not
my problem.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Only one person ever attended a parliament with
honest intentions - and that was Guy Fawkes.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk