[Gllug] Why not to use MySQL...

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 12:40:46 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:40:14AM +0000, Sean Burlington wrote:
> > LIMIT, AUTO_INCREMENT, SHOW CREATE TABLE, SHOW TABLES
>
> I'm guessing here, but:
>
> LIMIT (limit number of tuples returned?) is just LIMIT, as in:
>
>   select * from foo where bar = 1 order by 1 limit 10
>
> AUTO_INCREMENT would probably be SERIAL, as in:
>
>   create table foo
>   (
>     id serial not null primary key,
>     description text
>   );
>
>   insert into foo (description) values ('hello');
>
>   select currval ('foo_id_seq');
> 	 currval
> 	---------
> 	       1
> 	(1 row)
>
>   select * from foo;
> 	 id | description
> 	----+-------------
> 	  1 | hello
> 	(1 row)
>
> SHOW CREATE TABLE - I have no idea what this could do.
>
> SHOW TABLES - Probably the \d or \dt commands in psql which list
> relations and tables respectively.

	With Postgres 7.4 you can use the sql standard scehma for viewing
tables. Which is probably a better way of doing it than *any* other
database.

	I'm a postgres user and its worth putting yourself on the postgres
mailing lists (Novice, General, etc) nobody there is dangours and will
answer you questions usally within a few hours..... (Some of the best
mailing lists I've met)

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk