[Gllug] Linux directory conventions

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Nov 10 15:10:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Tethys wrote:

> >Postfix 2 exceeds sendmail in functionality terms for every metric I've
> >ever needed.
>
> A bold claim. Please give some concrete examples of things you can do
> with Postfix 2 that you can't do with Sendmail. I'd agree about ease
> of use[1], but that doesn't count as functionality in my book...

>From my last message to Bruce:

"When I was setting up UKFSN (and UKPOST before that) I had a specific set
of features I wanted to offer, including unlimited real mailboxes under
each domain that would have common names - ie joe at example1.com and
joe at example2.com would be delivered to the joe mailbox in each domain.

Sendmail didn't (and still doesn't) support this. OK you can achieve this
with "clever" procmail recipies but then you have to put together far more
complex systems and if you want people to be able to login as
joe at example1.com to POP3 or IMAP to collect their mail you have more
complication.

Postfix on the other hand offered me virtual users with a simple map
lookup to determine all the details I want from a SQL backend. It fits
together really nicely with several good POP3 daemons and it's simple."

Proper support for virtual users (and simply mapping to a different real
system account doesn't count for this one) is important to me. Without it
I couldn't offer some of the core functionality I do.

Sendmail cannot do this. I tried to find a way and even the procmail
route wasn't complete and would have required a lot of extra work and
maintainance.

Jason
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month
                            + Free Activation on all ADSL services