[Gllug] Re: Gllug Digest, Vol 5, Issue 5

John Forbes forbes at homechoice.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 20:16:55 UTC 2003

kumara g wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I wonder whether anyone of you have tried to migrate
>>> from MS Access database to open office or Star office.
>>> I have an importnat customer database in access with
>>> GUI which i want to migrate to open office or star
>>> office if possible, but i am not sure .

> Bernard Peek wrote, inter alia:

> As far as I know there is no free replacement for MS Access. There are
> commercial database development systems but they are all expensive. The
> simplest solution may be to run MS Access under Crossover Office or
> VMWare.

It is perfectly possible, and quite easy, to use Open Office as a front
end to an Access or any other database that supports ODBC or JDBC.

Depending on the complexity of the database, it should be possible to
convert it to MySQL or PostGres, then use OpenOffice for normal end-user
activities.

Regards

John Forbes

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk