[Gllug] Sparc Ultra 5 Oddness

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 21:59:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:44:53PM +0000, Ian Norton wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently rescued two sun ultra 5's from an auction, both have hardly any
> signs of wear or use, one is a 360MHz version with 384Mb RAM and 2 9.1Gb IDE
> disks, this one works fine, its quite nippy etc,
>
> the other is a 270Mhz version with 256Mb memory and 2 ide disks, I have got
> this one to boot successfully and can see stuff going on over the serial
> console, the problem is that it displays nothing at all on screen (ever) and my
> screen's little LED goes orange, green then yellow just after i switch it on (ive never seen it yellow before, orange is no signal, green is a good signal,
>
> using the openboot thing ive managed to run the diagnostics and 'test video'
> and it reports nothing wierd, any suggestions? could this machine be running in
> some funny video mode?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ian

Hi
Most Sun machines will only use the video output if the keyboard
is connected, else they will only use the serial interface.

Do you have a known good keyboard connected ?

|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com        |
| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk