[Gllug] Sparc Ultra 5 Oddness

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Nov 17 21:44:53 UTC 2003

Hi Folks,

I recently rescued two sun ultra 5's from an auction, both have hardly any
signs of wear or use, one is a 360MHz version with 384Mb RAM and 2 9.1Gb IDE
disks, this one works fine, its quite nippy etc,

the other is a 270Mhz version with 256Mb memory and 2 ide disks, I have got
this one to boot successfully and can see stuff going on over the serial
console, the problem is that it displays nothing at all on screen (ever) and my
screen's little LED goes orange, green then yellow just after i switch it on (ive never seen it yellow before, orange is no signal, green is a good signal,

using the openboot thing ive managed to run the diagnostics and 'test video'
and it reports nothing wierd, any suggestions? could this machine be running in
some funny video mode?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

--