[Gllug] Graphics cards + open source or contributed drivers?

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Nov 17 09:25:36 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:38:06 +0000
Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, agreed. But it always surprised me that so many people with an
> interest in 3d went with nVidia, when ATI make comparable hardware, and
> appear to be much more open with specs.

Originally it was a price/performance issue. At the time the Quadro2 was
faster and cheaper than the equivalent FireGL. Since then, the new FireGL
cards based on the Radeon chipset have been very interesting, but they still
ship with closed drivers. Given that we have always recieved very good support
from both Nvidia and PNY we see no reason to switch suppliers.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk