[Gllug] No login to Debian 3.0r1 bf24 box

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 10:19:16 UTC 2003

Hello,
   I am trying to install Debian 3.0r1 bf24 on a box connected to a local
network. All my other boxes allow a network login using telnet or ssh, this
one will happily reply to a ping, but closes any incoming attempt at
connection after a few seconds without leaving more than a brief "connection
refused to (IP_address)" message in its logs. The message displayed in the
terminal window is "Remote closed connection".
   I assume that it is a permissions problem, but have not yet found any
configuration file in /etc which appears to be relevant and is different
from the same file on any other box. It will allow connection outwards to
another local box, connect to remote sites via the internet, and I have been
able to grab files, the Knoppix iso, and Debian updates. It is almost as
though /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny have been swapped. Any
suggestions please?   Thanks.

   A previous request has disappeared, perhaps I used a forbidden word and
was filtered out.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk