[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Nov 23 21:40:13 UTC 2003

Richard Jones (rich at annexia.org) wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:12:12PM +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
> >   Its a G320HS from http://www.dnuk.com with 2Gb of memory and enough
> > disks to make a raid array. (Xeon 2.8 Single Processor, IDE, 3ware Raid
> > controller...)
>
> Have you thought about getting a rackmount version instead.
<snip>

We got one of these as a 'slow' backup device. Its nice. We added our
own IDE disk for the OS, and dedicated all disks on the 3ware controller
into two RAID5 arrays. Then we make a raid0 3.5TB partition.

> Use ext3!! reiserfs is very flakey, and if you use a non-journalled
> solution you'll spend forever booting and fscking if you have a power
> failure.

We're using reiser; personally, in around two years I've not had any
problems with it on numerous systems. Plus, ext3 will (by default) sync
its journal every 5 seconds, regardless if anything is actually being
written to the disk.

Of course, you can always look at xfs/jfs as well, both of which I would
think are more trustworthy/effecient than ext3.

> Sound technology choices. Do you have a plan for Postgres backup (eg.
> tape? extra disks? off site? incremental?)
>
> >   Oh and I'm currently planning on using Debian....
> Good choice.

 Yah... can't complain. :)

We run kernel 2.6.0-test9 on this box, because with a partition greater
than 2TB, you need either patches for the block layer, or a 2.6 kernel
(which scales to a 16 TB single partition on 32 bit hardware, IIRC).
Anyways, we've been really pleased with the hardware, and the 2.6 kernel
on this device (though we did put two * gigabit network cards in it to
do active-passive interface bonding for redundant physical links which
had some issues around 2.6.0-test5 or so....).

  JamesB

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html

I am in London on UK mobile +44 7952 042920.