[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Anthony Chapman anth at earthling.net
Sun Nov 23 21:22:54 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 16:00, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> * Tagged Command Queuing is still not that common in IDE drives, and I
> think I remember reading the linux implementation had a few problems
> with TCQ on IDE drives.
It was removed in the 2.6.0-test9 kernel.

> * The IDE bus isn't even close to U320 performance, which is an issue
> with multi drive systems.
> * The 2 drive/channel limit on IDE is significant for servers.
The original poster planned to use a 3ware controller, which would imply
one drive/channel.

>From what I can gather IDE drives are willing to claim that data has
been written to disk when it is still in the cache. This would seem to
be the biggest issue with them, but if its a server I'd assume the power
supply will be reliable enough that this risk is acceptable for most
purposes.

--
'Attention: "Insert Company Name Here" detected a virus in a message you
recently sent to our location.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk