[Gllug] Fibre attached SCSI Drives - Qlogic 2100 & Chaparral K7413

Andy Young andy.young at bbc.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 13:42:02 UTC 2003

Hi all.

I'm trying to rebuild an oldish server that has an disk array managed by
a Chaparral K7413 controller attached to a Qlogic 2100 HBA.

I've gone back to Redhat 7.0 which supports the QLA2100 out of the box
(later Redhat distros support the 2200 and 2300 but not 2100).

My server can 'see' the HBA and the drive array controller, but not the
disks attached.
The Qlogic firmware setup can run a disk check, so they are all plugged
up OK.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: CHAPTEC  Model: K7413            Rev: K2.0
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 03

... And the relevant part of "dmesg" output shows:

(scsi): Found a QLA2100  @ bus 0, device 10, irq 18, iobase 0xd800
scsi(2): Configure NVRAM parameters...
scsi(2): Verifying loaded RISC code...
scsi(2): Verifying chip...
scsi(2): LIP reset occurred
scsi(2): Waiting for LIP to complete...
scsi(2): LIP occurred.
scsi(2): LOOP UP detected
scsi2: Topology - (Loop), Host Loop address 0x1
scsi-qla0-adapter-node=0000000000000000;
scsi-qla0-adapter-port=200000e08b01302a;
scsi-qla0-target-0=2000005013b01787;
scsi2 : QLogic QLA2100 PCI to Fibre Channel Host Adapter: bus 0 device
10 irq 18
        Firmware version:  1.19.10, Driver version 2.23
scsi : 3 hosts.
  Vendor: CHAPTEC   Model: K7413             Rev: K2.0
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 03
scsi(2:0:0:0): Enabled tagged queuing, queue depth 16.

However I can't access the SCSI array with /dev/sda (or sdb or anything
else!)

>From what I can make out, I should be seeing a message along the lines
of:

Detected scsi disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

But I'm not :(

Any advice on what route to take to troubleshoot this would be
gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Andy.

Andy Young