[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Nov 24 14:43:13 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:38:26PM +0000, Richard wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:15:35PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > Also bear in mind that SCSI electronics are much better than IDE for
> > servers with lots of disks (no siginificant per disk CPU loading like
> > you get with IDE).
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about ancient IDE disks running in PIO
> mode? These days both do DMA, both are command driven, and, heck, both
> use similar logical block addressing structures.

True, but SCSI is still a much better interface than IDE and doesn't
suffer from the same bottlenecks or impose the same CPU overhead.  I
know someone who likes to play Quake III while buring a CD and
downloading mp3s, just to prove the point.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock