[Gllug] Why not to use MySQL...

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Nov 24 14:36:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:11:59AM +0000, Rev wrote:
> The main thing about MySQL is that the developers claimed you didn't
> need to be ACID to be a database, and that transactions are
> unnecessary.  Now that they've finally added transactions, you have to
> wonder what changed to make them need it and what other shortcuts
> they've taken in the name of performance and data loss.

AFAIK, they haven't actually added transactions.  One of the storage
backends supports transactions but they aren't part of the core
application.  This is not good (and explains why you still can't do a
backup of a live system, despite their rather dishonest claims to the
contrary).

OTOH, practical reasons for using MySQL include the fact that they have
a considerably more sophisticated security model.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.