[Gllug] Forwarding mac address...

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Thu Nov 13 11:45:51 UTC 2003

Hi,

We've got a traffic shaper on the internet access here (I'm back in Sierra
Leone this week) that limits how much bandwidth each customer gets as we
have to share out just 2megs.

To stop "in country" traffic being shaped we've put a Linux box in front of
it as a router to route back out to the wireless network any traffic not
destined for the net.

Unfortunately, now the traffic shaper thinks ALL the traffic is coming from
linux box as its not seeing the originating MAC address!  I thought that
this was only going to happen if I used NAT/Masquerading, but if I did
normal routing it would pass on the original mac address.

I've looked at perhaps using SNAT to put back the original MAC address back
(I can see how to force it to a fixed MAC, but I want the original).

I've googled lots about being transparent but can't see anywhere on how to
preserve the original mac address.

Cheers

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk