[Gllug] Forwarding mac address...

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 11:05:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Andy McGarty yowled:
> To stop "in country" traffic being shaped we've put a Linux box in front of
> it as a router to route back out to the wireless network any traffic not
> destined for the net.
>
> Unfortunately, now the traffic shaper thinks ALL the traffic is coming from
> linux box as its not seeing the originating MAC address!  I thought that
> this was only going to happen if I used NAT/Masquerading, but if I did
> normal routing it would pass on the original mac address.
>
> I've looked at perhaps using SNAT to put back the original MAC address back
> (I can see how to force it to a fixed MAC, but I want the original).
>
> I've googled lots about being transparent but can't see anywhere on how to
> preserve the original mac address.

Use a bridge and the ebtables patch to turn the router into a bridging
firewall. That way the MACs and so on will fly past unchanged.

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk