[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Sun Nov 23 12:26:34 UTC 2003

At 12:12 23/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>   Any comments would be most usful as I havn't got a clue. I'll try and
> keep people up to date as the system goes in if only because its a big
> Linux based system within London....

I'd go for a dual processor system, and preferably athlon/opteron not intel
based. AMD offers much more bang for buck.  Also be careful about server
orientated chipsets.  Some manufacturers will use SiS chipsets and realtek
NICs.  The former are renown for poor performance and quality, the latter
are renown for greatly varying quality of manufacture.

When you say "enough disks to make a RAID array", what RAID strategy were
you thinking of?

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk