[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 12:12:12 UTC 2003

    Right after much delibrarion about a month on never having purchesed

a server in my life before I've decided what I need for work. So unless
anyone can tell me why this is stupid and will never work I'm going to
try and order it on Monday...... I've spent about a 3 months thinking
about it so its time to move!

   Its a G320HS from http://www.dnuk.com with 2Gb of memory and enough
disks to make a raid array. (Xeon 2.8 Single Processor, IDE, 3ware Raid
controller...)

   Every one wants to sell SCSI which is about 1,000UKP more and I
don't see the point.

   Its for a Linux based 24x7 automated booking system we've been
designing and writing for the past year. with about 60 users (20 at any
given time) and planned online stuff eventually. For a fleet of about
300 drivers (who do not have access yet (may get web access one day))
   System is written in C++ and Qt to run on a Postgres Database, using
Jabber, and LTSP thin clients.
   Oh and I'm currently planning on using Debian....

   Any comments would be most usful as I havn't got a clue. I'll try
and keep people up to date as the system goes in if only because its a
big Linux based system within London....

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk