[Gllug] FLOSS

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 20:42:41 UTC 2003

Bruce Richardson writes:-
< I wish to register a protest against the term FLOSS. It's the daftest
< acronym yet. Nobody is going to take anything seriously if you call it
< FLOSS.
Hi Bruce,
I thought that being daft was more or less de rigueur when it comes to
producing free software acronyms. How else do you remain serious when
explaining names that derive from amongst others a Red Indian, a garden
ornament, a dog, a wildebeest, a Brazilian dance, a comedy series and a
duck?
What's wrong with a piece of thread tying them all together?
Anyway, I distinctly remember in 2001 a dentist telling me that
dentistry is at the cutting edge of many IT developments - I remember
because it was just after he informed me that he'd never heard of Linux.
This dental slant to computing terms has of course been true for many
years, how else do you explain what half a byte is?
Regards,
Mark

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk